Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The F Word: Famine is the Real Obscenity

I hear teenagers say the word "f***" all the time. As the father of a young son, it bothers me when I hear that word. I certainly don't want that to be my son's first word! But the most obscene thing I can think of isn't "f***", it's famine. In the previous three months, 30,000 children have died in Somalia. As a new parent, this other f-word is much more offensive to me. I fear the day when my son asks me: "Daddy, why don't we do something to help them?" There aren't easy answers. In part because famine is a complex event to address. But that complexity can't be a reason to do nothing. Action can be taken.

The One Campaign has put together a great video about famine. Here is what Bono said about it:
ONE's new film The F Word: Famine is the Real Obscenity isn't a typical emotional emergency appeal. It's about focusing the media spotlight on the tragedy unfolding. It's about building political support in the US and around the world for interventions that will stop the suffering today and break the cycle of famine in the future. Most of all, it's about taking action -- because famine is human-made.
There are two important things we can all do to help bring famine to an end:


(1) Watch and share the video.
(2) Sign the One Campaign's petition.

No comments:

Post a Comment