Saturday, April 30, 2011

A Letter To God

To whom this may concern:

Who are you? Seriously, there are so many people that attempt to name, frame, and claim you. Some say you’re a vindictive Father. Some say you’re a compassionate Mother. Others say you’re an unnamable, unknowable Being. Perhaps the truth is that we don’t know the truth. Perhaps all we get are glimpses of your magnificence. Apostle Paul says we "see through a mirror dimly" and "know only in part." That seems right. And I deeply appreciate the dim, partial views that I get. Through your Creation, I have glimpsed your face. Through the life of Jesus, I have glimpsed your goodness. Through your thoughtful people, I hear your holy wisdom. But others will disagree with me. How is this possible? Who’s right? Who’s wrong?

Where are you? Seriously, there are so many people that attempt to name, frame, and claim you. Some say you’re up and away, somewhere in a netherworld. Some say you’re down and inside, and that the earth is your body. But deep in my bones I sense that you are up, down, away, and inside. I feel you walking with me. I’ve felt you walk with others. And I bet you’re also at the furthest reaches of the Universe and beyond. But others will disagree with me. How is this possible? Who’s right? Who’s wrong?

What are you up to these days? Seriously, there are so many people that attempt to name, frame, and claim you. Some say you’re waiting for us to accept our eternal life by saying a certain prayer. Some say you’re among the poor and outcast, suffering with them in their struggle for life and liberation. But what about your Creation? In the Bible, it claims that at one time your Creation was a garden – and a “very good” one at that! But now strip malls increasingly replace of your beautiful trees and flowers. Yet, I still have hope for a better world because I feel you at work, even as I write these words, calling us to be faithful stewards of your Creation. I bet you’re doing many other things too. But others will disagree with me. How is this possible? Who’s right? Who’s wrong?

When are you? Seriously, there are so many people that attempt to name, frame, and claim you. Some say you acted through Moses as led your people to liberation. Some say you have acted through Jesus’ life, actions, and teachings. Some say you acted long ago in miricles. But is that all? Some say you will act sometime in the future to set all things right. But is that all? What about right now? I have felt your presence with me. But I bet you were also present with Dorothy Day and Mahatma Gandhi. And I bet you’ll be present with people who will be born in the days, weeks, and years ahead too. It seems like the best answer to when, is always. But others will disagree with me. How is this possible? Who’s right? Who’s wrong?

Why are you? Some people say you exist to call sinners to repentance. Some say you exist to call all life to the greatest possible potentiality, in each moment, for the betterment of all Creation. Some say you exist to punish the wicked and reward the righteous. But to be honest, I imagine you see all of us as some mixture of wicked and righteous. Yet, you seem to exist in loving care for all of us – and try to use all who will pay attention. But others will disagree with me. How is this possible? Who’s right? Who’s wrong?

I ask these questions because I grow tired of the endless debates and fruitless conversations about you. I have lost good relationships with friends and family all because we couldn’t agree on the answers to these questions. Wars are fought at family reunions and between nations over these questions. The one thing that connects us to each other (you) seems to evoke the most hostility. I have lost enough in this fight – and so have others. While all this fighting occurs, there are 33,000 children who die of starvation each day, rainforests are cut down, rivers are polluted, women are abused, men are raped, and the list goes on and on. There must be a better way to do this whole spirituality thing.

The purpose of this letter is to seek your help in re-connecting to each other. Remind us that we are already connected to each other. Remind us that what affects one directly, affects all indirectly. Remind us that we live in the ecology of each other’s choices. Remind us that we are not our own. Remind us that we are all part of your web of life. Remind us that no matter what words we use to name, claim, and frame you, we belong to each other and to you. Remind us that we’re all “us.” And remind us to enjoy life to the fullest...together.

Sincerely,

Brian

1 comment:

  1. brian, i think you put to words the stirings of my own heart. words, that i had no words for. thank you.

    ReplyDelete