Saturday, January 23, 2010

"Of Lament and Hope"

We wrote our new song, "Of Lament and Hope," after watching the news coverage of the earthquake in Haiti. The juxtaposition of images of overwhelming destruction and worldwide aid reminded us of Psalm 13. It's a psalm of deep lament and resilient hope. The beauty of this psalm is that it doesn't offer empty platitudes or theological blame. It simply names the pain honestly and then looks forward in hopeful expectation. In that way, Psalm 13 is like a good blues song. It acknowledges the tough stuff, but manages to find the hope in life anyway. So, after reading Psalm 13 and watching CNN, this song almost wrote itself.

Of Lament and Hope

How long, O God
Will you keep me waiting here?
How long, O God
Til You recognize my tears?
How long will I bear grief in my soul,
Carry this sorrow night and day?
How long til I am whole?

God, look at me.
Don’t turn Your face away.
God, answer me,
Before darkness overtakes.
Before my path is overcome,
And all that oppose me rejoice.
How long will you be gone?

But as for me, I trust in Your love.
I rejoice in the help that You give.
To You I sing for Your goodness to me;
In You I trust, in You I live
In You I trust, in You I live
In You I live



To donate to relief efforts in Haiti click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment