Saturday, January 9, 2010

Listening to God's Voice In Daily Life

Carolyn Arends is a songwriter in Canada that sings music that goes much deeper than most "contemporary Christian music." She uses many different images and metaphors for God in her music. For example, in her song, "I Can Hear You," she talks about how we can hear God all around us if we just pay attention. God speaks through birds, laughter, friends, etc. Listening to the Divine voice all around us makes every thing and moment potentially sacred. And if you're into process theology or open theism, these lyrics are especially good! Check out the lyrics and video below:


Leaky faucet dripping in the kitchen
Rubber squealing - watch out in the alley
Mr. Marley's probably late for work again
Birdie singing - telling me to get up
Such a soothing sound floating on the wind
I just keep listening
Funny how You speak to me
In such mysterious ways

I can hear You
I can hear You
It's so amazing how Your voice keeps breaking through
I can hear You

There's a church bell ringing out the hour
Like an old friend calling through my window
With the laughter of the children playing down below
You've got a way of getting my attention
In the rhythm of life, everywhere I go
Somehow You let me know
If I'll only stop to listen
You're in everything

I can hear You
I can hear You
It's so amazing how Your voice keeps breaking through
I can hear You


No comments:

Post a Comment