Sunday, January 3, 2010

Agape: "All Are Welcome"

David Scherer a.k.a. Agape is one of our favorite rappers. His music is fun, fresh, and faithful. In fact, one of his newest songs and videos offers an excellent vision of the Church. All are welcome. Everyone. Kinda sounds like what that wily character Jesus said all the time. All are welcome. Let the children come. And the poor. And the rich. And the rural. And the urban. And the tax collectors. And the prostitutes. And on and on. All are welcome. It's kinda radical, actually. Just radical enough to be something Jesus was all about! Check out how this song re-imagines Jesus' vision of God's preferential care for all people.
All Are Welcome
It says in the Bible that all are welcome, all are welcome and invited to the table to eat.

Come as you are, all our welcome.
Come as you are.


Even though I haven't read my Bible in a year,
do I still have a welcome place waiting for me here?
Even though you saw me at the bar last week,
do I still have a place that's safe for me to speak?
Even though I curs on the curt playing ball,
do I still have a place that will care for me at all?
Even though my parents are hippies of the new age,
burning incense, can this still be my place?
Even though I feel a little different than you,
can this still be a place were I can feel renewed?
And even though I shout during serves in my wheelchair,
can this be the place for me where people still care?
Come as you are, all are welcome.
Come as you are.


Even though I love somebody of the same sex,
do I still have a place to learn about God's text?
Even though my wife and I can't get along,
do we still have a place to come and sing God's song?
Even though I have a personality disorder,
do I still have a place to bathe in God's water?
Even though HIV is affecting me,
do I have a place to go where I can finally be free?
Even though I'm homeless and I struggle to eat,
do I still have a place to keep me off of the street?
And even though I can't speak English that well,
do I still have a place where I can come and get help?


Come as you are, all are welcome.
Come as you are.


Even though I speak in tongues and rise my hands to God,
do I still have a place here on the church squad?
Even though I sit, contemplate, and don't sing,
do I still have a place where can come and do my thing?
Even though we're all sinners and we fall short,
church should be a place where we can come to the Lord.
Break bread together, sings hymns together,
all of God's children, bring them together.
Even though sometimes I can't run the race,
I'm still God's child, so this is still my place.


Come as you are, all are welcome.
Come as you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment