Thursday, May 28, 2009

"Mask of God"

Pentecost, for Christians, is a celebration of the presence of the Holy Spirit. According to Acts 2:1-4, the disciples were gathered together on the day of Pentecost, when suddenly they were filled with the Holy Spirit and were inspired to speak many different languages. Obviously, the Holy Spirit had been with them before this day also. But Pentecost was a moment where the disciples experienced a fresh and renewed awareness of the presence of the Holy Spirit acting in their lives. Suddenly they were able the speak a diversity of different languages. In other words they could do ministry in many different cultures. Today some people even celebrate Pluralism Sunday on Pentecost in order to recognize that the Holy Spirit works through all languages and cultures.

One image that reflects the presence of the Holy Spirit is fire. The image of fire is important because it suggests that God is always changing, dancing, and moving. The Spirit of God moves and acts through all people, languages, and cultures. God is not limited to any particular place or people. God moves freely, like a flame. The image of God as fire is an image that avoids becoming a stale idol. It's an image that is continually fresh because it's an image that evokes many images. Therefore, a dancing flame is important image of God. The author, Nikos Kazantzakis, even says: "Fire is the first and final mask of my God."

Sara has written a song based on that quote by Kazantzakis. Since it's Pentecost, we thought this would be a good time to share this song. Here are the lyrics and video:

"Mask of God"

Come set a fire within me
Be the flame that gives light in the dark
Illumine the pathway before me
This kindling is ready to start

Warm me, God
Melt me, God
Send me, God
Help me, God
Hear all these things that I ask
Fire is the first and the final mask
of our God

Give strength for the days without sunshine
Promise you'll never depart
Light for the journey before us
Fire to burn in our hearts

Warm me, God
Melt me, God
Send me, God
Help me, God
Hear all these things that I ask
Fire is the first and the final mask
of our God


Fire keeps burning
Though I'm still learning
You call out my name, my name
From the flame

I know that you love will not fail me
It shines on in the darkest of nights
Fan the flames in my soul
that dance with your joy
Lift me up and show forth your light

Warm me, God
Melt me, God
Send me, God
Help me, God
Hear all these things that I ask
Fire is the first and the final mask
of our God

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful post. Thank you so much for the song. Peace to you :)

    ReplyDelete