Thursday, March 12, 2009

Honoring Quietude During Lent








"Ash Wednesday" - T.S. Elliot
Where shall the word be found, where will the word
Resound? Not here, there is not enough silence.

Unknown - Mother Teresa
We need to find God, and God cannot be found in noise and restlessness. God is the friend of silence. See how nature - trees, flowers, grass - grows in silence; see the stars, the moon and the sun, how they move in silence...We need silence to be able to touch souls.

"Let Your Life Speak" - Parker Palmer
Before you tell your life what you intend to do with it, listen for what it intends to do with you. Before you tell your life what truths and values you have decided to live up to, let your life tell you what truths you embody...The soul speaks its truth only under quiet, inviting, and trustworthy conditions.

"I Kings 19:11-13" - Anonymous
The word of God said, ‘Go out and stand on the mountain before the Holy One, for the Holy One is about to pass by.’ Now there was a great wind, so strong that it was splitting mountains and breaking rocks in pieces before the Holy One, but the Holy One was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Holy One was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the Holy One was not in the fire; and after the fire a still, small voice. When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood at the entrance of the cave.

"I Feel Sorry for Jesus" - Naomi Shihab Nye
People won't leave Him alone.
I know He said, Wherever two or more
are gathered in my name...but
I'll bet some days He regrets it.
Cozily they tell you what He wants
and doesn't want as if they just got an e-mail.
Remember "Telephone," that pass-it-on
where the message changed dramatically by the time
it rounded the circle? Well.
People blame terrible pieties on Jesus.
They try to feel like His Special Pet.
Jesus deserves better.
I think He's been exhausted for a very long time.
He went into the desert, friends.
He didn't go into the pomp.
He didn't go into the golden chandeliers
and say, the truth tastes better here,
See? I'm talking like I know.
It's dangerous talking for Jesus.
You get carried away almost immediately.
I stood in the spot where He was born.
I closed my eyes where He died and didn't die.
Every twist of the Via Dolorosa was written on my skin.
And that makes me feel like being silent you know?
A secret pouch of listening.
You won't hear me talk about this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment